Manager of First Impressions
i.e. Office & Member Relationship Coordinator
The Basalt Chamber is now hiring for a Manager of First Impressions, who will serve as the office and membership coordinator.
The Basalt Chamber of Commerce (BCC) is a 501(c)6 nonprofit focused on supporting the business community in the mid-Roaring Fork Valley and beyond. The chamber is a membership-based organization, predominantly supported through member investment in the form of annual dues.
The BCC’s efforts in the community include three distinct, yet connected, roles, broken down as follows:
- Chamber of Commerce – strengthening, educating, connecting and advocating for the business community (50%);
- Economic Vitality and Support – including operating a small business resources center and coworking space – Hack & Grind Coworking (20%);
- Tourism Development – as a destination marketing organization (DMO) and visitors center (20%);
The final 10% of the BCC’s time/efforts is spent on Operations, including general administrative and financial responsibilities required to run the organization.
About the role
This is a part-time, non-exempt position at 20 hours a week under the supervision of the Executive Director, with the potential to expand to a full-time role, as budget and needs allow.
The Manager will support the Basalt Chamber in its three main roles, as well as with operations. This person will execute administrative, marketing, financial and customer service tasks for the Chamber. This position requires you to be nimble and flexible, as well as comfortable being in a frontline role. There is no “regular” day at the Chamber. Some days there is an event to execute, other days you may get interesting phone calls asking the most random questions.
The Chamber’s main office is located within Hack & Grind Coworking at 208 Midland Ave. The chamber also owns the Red Caboose in Lions Park, next to Town Hall. Due to COVID-related challenges, operations at the caboose were suspended; however there is the possibility of reinstating it as a visitors center, which would require staffing (this position), particularly during the summer months.
Objectives of this role
- Oversee the member/guest experience, ensuring a personal, friendly experience for anyone entering Hack & Grind Coworking, maintaining complete accessibility in both availability and warmth of character
- Ensure peak organizational and building operations, including identifying and executing preventative measures for issues
- Implement established policies and procedures, measure outcomes against standards, and improve operational flow when identified
- Cultivate meaningful relationships with chamber members and stakeholders
- Oversee office interactions, responding to requests and questions
- Responsible for providing chamber members, coworking members and guests with the best experience and the highest level of customer service
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for tracking and responding to inquiries and complaints
- Work with Executive Director to keep member information updated and accurate; maintain member files
- Promote membership services and opportunities
- Process new member and renewal applications using ChamberMaster (our database)
- Assist in the coordination and execution of Chamber events – researching, scheduling, attending events and meetings, volunteer recruitment, sponsorship sales, marketing, etc.
- Prepare reports on membership and other activities as requested by the Director.
- Serve as committee liaison: preparing agendas, attending meetings, taking minutes, etc.
- Assist members with marketing and advertising needs utilizing the Chamber’s resources, engage members through committee or program participation, develop prospective members
- During Chamber Pass season – assist with the verification of eligibility process, answer chamber member questions, ensure compliance with ASC program guidelines, and collect payment as needed
- Responsible for the management of daily operations of Hack & Grind Coworking and the Chamber, overseeing the day-to-day activities of the office as the main point of contact in the reception area, providing office coverage, including answering phones, greeting guests, data entry and updating the procedures manual, etc.
- Ensure office efficiency by maintaining appearance of common areas, overseeing and maintaining office equipment for uninterrupted function, identifying and fulfill office supply needs, maintaining and managing vendors, and coordinating food delivery as needed
- Provide direct Chamber administrative support as needed, including handling correspondence (phone/email/in-person), managing filing systems (digital and physical), scheduling appointments, meetings, and events, and mailing and shipping packages
- Triage, and appropriate escalate, issues for timely resolution and minimal disruptions
Marketing and Communication:
- Support marketing efforts and advertising initiatives including print, radio and digital media advertising.
- Create and manage electronic communications to members, including e-newsletters and electronic invitations using Constant Contact & ChamberMaster
- Assist with developing content for the Chamber website, social media and email newsletters in coordination with the Executive Director
- Prepare and send prospective and new membership packets
- Two years of experience in an office setting performing complex administrative functions, OR any combination of education and experience which produces the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Previous customer service experience – passion for helping others and finding solutions, even under challenging circumstances
- Proficient in the use of computer technology; such as Microsoft Office and G-suite applications, with an aptitude to learn new software and systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interact with staff, members, Boards, committees, government agencies and the public. Using tact, discretion, initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines
- Ability to work as a member of a team that performs a variety of recurring tasks interspersed with research, analysis and special projects
- Ability to analyze and verify information from complex forms and reports
- Ability to organize work and set priorities, meet critical deadlines and follow-up on assignments independently
- Ability to apply logic to solve problems and accomplish tasks, and to interpret and communicate policies and procedures
- Demonstrate integrity, dependability, responsibility, accountability, self-awareness, work ethic and empathy
- Previous experience in a nonprofit or public sector setting
- Bachelor’s degree
- Knowledge of Google applications preferred
- Advanced computer skills and experience with online platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and WordPress
- Experience using graphic design software such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with and/or enthusiasm for the business community
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Experience developing internal systems
Time commitment and compensation
The Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act requires employers in the state of Colorado to disclose the following information.
The hourly rate for this position generally ranges between $18-23/hour. This range is an estimate, based on potential employee qualifications, operational needs and other considerations permitted by law. The maximum hourly for this position is $25/hr. An offer above the hiring range may be made depending upon the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Desired working hours for this role are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., however, a flexible schedule may be considered. The ability to work most mornings is required. Standard office hours for BCC employees are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., although this may be impacted by chamber events. Coworking and visitor center hours may vary based on seasonality and demand.
Given the nature of the role, this is an in-office position, as much of the job requires being physically present to assist members, visitors and staff.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to director[at]basaltchamber.org.