Be heard – VOTE!
The Basalt Chamber does not take a stance on a particular political candidate, however we do advocate on business issues.
The chamber shall consider the merits of an issue based on the following criteria:
- maintaining or improving the cost of doing business within the Basalt area;
- advocating for a “pro-business” municipal government;
- increasing the available workforce or workforce housing; and/or
- improving the local infrastructure.
The fundamental questions that should be answered are: “Does this support sustainable economic growth in our community?” and “Does this align with the Chamber’s Mission Statement?” Other criteria may also be considered at the discretion of the Board.
Vote a business-friendly ballot
The Basalt Chamber Board of Directors has taken the following positions on statewide ballot issues:
Amendment B | Repeal Property Tax Assessment Rates: SUPPORT/YES
A “yes” vote supports the following:
- repealing the Gallagher Amendment, which set residential and non-residential property tax assessment rates in the state constitution;
- allowing the Colorado State Legislature to freeze property tax assessment rates at the current rates (7.15% for residential property and 29% for non-residential property); and
- allowing the state legislature to provide for future property tax assessment rate adjustments through state law.
Proposition 118 | Paid Family and Medical Leave Insurance Program: OPPOSE/NO
A “no” vote opposes establishing a paid family and medical leave program in Colorado.
VOTE411 – Launched by the League of Women Voters Education Fund (LWVEF) in October of 2006, VOTE411.org is a “one-stop-shop” for election related information. It provides nonpartisan information to the public with both general and state-specific information on different aspects of the election process.
State of Colorado – Secretary of State
Count Me In Colorado – A robust civic engagement effort that reaches into communities across the state to educate communities the issues they will see on their ballots. CMI provides plain language explanations of state ballot measures.
Ballot Bash Learning Series [Videos]: CMI hosted 4 virtual events that gave an overview of all 11 statewide ballot measures voters will decide on this fall.
- 2020 Ballot information: A short, objective summary and a list of the the registered issue committees for each measure.
Build a Better Colorado – A diverse, nonpartisan coalition of Coloradans with the shared belief that Colorado can do better than the divisive arguments that have come to dominate our political discourse. BEST GALLAGHER RESOURCE
Downtown Colorado Inc – DCI is a nonprofit, membership association committed to building better communities by providing assistance to Colorado downtowns, commercial districts and town centers.
- Overview of the Gallagher Amendment [webinar recording] with Reeves Brown, aka Mr. I know all about Gallagher.
- ~16 minute mark, Reeves addresses the impact the COVID-19 recession will likely have on property values tied to Gallagher.
- ~25 minute mark, he addresses the potential impact on local municipalities and the three options available, which could result in shifting the tax burden more to business owners.
- Additional DCI resources
Colorado Chamber of Commerce
- 2020 Ballot positions
- Blog: Two More Initiatives Qualify for 2020 General Election Ballot (Initiative 283 became Proposition 118)
Member Voter Guides
Roaring Fork Conservancy – Voters’ Guide to Water Issue